First released in 2012 and updated all the way until February 2016, Digitally Unmastered skin is a neon green modification of the standard Steam interface created by user Asphira.
Colors & Design
This is very reminiscent of the color scheme from the original Deus Ex game and Matrix movies. It’s primarily black with a smattering of really bright greens, while the menu and address bar has been given a green to black gradient. The scrollbars are simple green outlines, which ties in nicely with the theme, but is a far cry from more modern design styles.
There’s a small issue with the drop down menus in that they have no border. They’re just solid black with bright green dividers. When the drop down menus are open, they bleed into the rest of the interface, which looks messy.
Digitally Unmastered does very little with the text, save changing the colors. The headings are bright green on black, so they’re easy enough to read. Everything else is white on black with a sensible text size. Full marks in this area.
The biggest bugbear here is that this skin was last updated before changes were made to how Big Picture is represented in the Steam client. As a result, the Big Picture interface element is buried under the main Steam menu, rendering the shortcut inaccessible and making a mess of the top left area of the skin.
Aside from that, the other major usability change included is the addition of a new menu, ‘Skin’ – which provides a shortcut to changing Steam’s skin as well as links to the author’s other skins and Steam group.
Not really a skin I can recommend because of the issue with Big Picture mode and the rather ugly scroll bars, however, if you’re a fan of the Matrix style mostly-black-with-a-bit-of-green color scheme, it might still be worth a look.
Click on the images below to enlarge and see better!
Digitally Unmastered Skin Changelogs
- Download the skin file below, you should get an archive with the “.zip” or “.rar” extension.
- Extract the ZIP or RAR and move the folder to:
C:/Program Files (x86)/Steam/skins
- MAC OS X: right-click Steam.app and choose show package contents then
- Open the Steam interface and in top tab, click on “Steam” / “Settings”.
- Then open the Interface section.
- Find the option “Select the skin you wish Steam to use (requires Steam to restart)” and choose the skin that you want.
- Completely shut down and restart Steam.
- That was all; now you must have another interface.
- Only go back to the Interface tab in Steam’s Settings and select a different skin.
- No Music Player beta support as of yet!
855.3 KB | Version 2.0