Desperate for a My Little Pony skin? Deviantart user cynicalTechlord is the answer. Their creation, the MLP – Fluttershy skin is a cutesy, over the top redesign for fans of the franchise and the color pink. It’s really not meant for anyone else. At all!
Colors & Design
Color-wise, this skin is overwhelmingly pink. The address bar, menu, and status bar areas have a solid pink background. The background is a large minimalist image of Fluttershy that has some transparency to it, fading into a highlighted game’s banner image.
The game list text is a gray-blue color for uninstalled games, and yellow for those that are installed. Hyperlinks are pink, and headings are light blue. Not the most complimentary of color pallets.
In regards to the layout of the standard user interface, not much has been radically altered.
This is where the issues begin. The uninstalled games in the games list are really hard to make out. The bundled font is a strong serif that really needs to be used with larger text sizes (at least 12 points), and not what appears to be the eight or nine point size that’s used here. Reading it is possible, but it’s far from easy.
Some hyperlinks and menus have a gray color, which does not stand out well against the pink background, especially when combined with the thinness of the included font.
There are more problems when it comes to the usability, too. Both the user profile link and big picture mode are overlapping the steam menu link and back arrow, making them unusable and making the skin look a mess. For that reason, the skin is not really usable in its current state.
Due to the usual issues of a skin not being updated for the latest version of Steam, and the creator stating that they won’t be updating the skin, I cannot recommend the MLP – Fluttershy skin for use.
Click on the images below to enlarge and see better!
Fluttershy Skin Changelogs
- Download the skin file below, you should get an archive with the “.zip” or “.rar” extension.
- Extract the ZIP or RAR and move the folder to:
C:/Program Files (x86)/Steam/skins
- MAC OS X: right-click Steam.app and choose show package contents then
- Open the Steam interface and in top tab, click on “Steam” / “Settings”.
- Then open the Interface section.
- Find the option “Select the skin you wish Steam to use (requires Steam to restart)” and choose the skin that you want.
- Completely shut down and restart Steam.
- That was all; now you must have another interface.
- Only go back to the Interface tab in Steam’s Settings and select a different skin.
The chat and friends UI doesn't load? Then you have to disable the new UI for them. We posted a guide on how to do this, take a look here.