Steam users looking to spice up the default Steam interface and change out the default Steam skin but want to see features of their Windows PC interface entwined within their Steam client and in-game will love the Windows 8 Metro Steam Skin developed by BoneyardBrew. The skin is easy to install, just like other Steam skins and presents the Steam client, it’s in-game features and the chat as well as other parts of Steam similar to the Windows user interface, making Steam users who install the skin feel more at home. The skin comes with a custom, clean buttons which look very professional and a simple color scheme that is basic but attractive. Also, Metro Skin for Steam makes the Steam chat features look appealing with a custom overlay and color accent which suits the other parts of the Steam client. The Metro Skin’s great for a homely feel.
Click on the images below to enlarge and see better!
Metro Skin Changelogs
- Fixed custom colors are not restoring.
- Added options for grid view.
- Improved error messages.
- Support running out of the skin directory.
- Enabled decals.
Metro Skin Unofficial Changelogs
- Added Support for Linux and Ubuntu
- Tested with Linux Mint Sarah 18 | Ubuntu 16.04
- Added frame focus on chat windows.
- Added News item in the hamburger menu.
- Minor design fixes to match the official version.
- Minor fixes for text selection especially in the News panel.
- Moved the steamVR button next to the bigpicture button when using that extra.
- Fixed some missing images on some themes.
- Fixed the find bar.
- Improved Backup Wizard Visual Design.
- Updated Segoe UI FONT FIX with 2 more fonts.
- New Extra: Removed In-Game tag.
- Download the skin file below, you should get an archive with the “.zip” or “.rar” extension.
- Extract the ZIP or RAR and move the folder to:
C:/Program Files (x86)/Steam/skins
- MAC OS X: Press Cmd+Shift+G in Finder and type
- Open the Steam interface and in top tab, click on “Steam” / “Settings”.
- Then open the Interface section.
- Find the option “Select the skin you wish Steam to use (requires Steam to restart)” and choose the skin that you want.
- Completely shut down and restart Steam.
- v1: Only go back to the Interface tab in Steam’s Settings and select a different skin.
- v2: Delete the skin folder from /Steam/skins.
This skin can be personalized, check out here.
The chat and friends UI doesn't load? Then you have to disable the new UI for them. We posted a guide on how to do this, take a look here.