When it comes to interface customization, be it for Web browsers, operating systems or in-game user interfaces, there’s always one style that people clamor for – minimalist. With that in mind, here’s a look at Minimal Steam UI Skin, created by user Santo Pfingsten, based on earlier work by users Ph0x and TDD.
Colors & Design
The colors haven’t been changed much. Minimal Steam UI V3 still makes use of the traditional black and white color scheme, although headings have been changed to a bright, blood red, green and blue in the games list.
Several interface elements have been given a minor tweak – the min/max/close buttons are custom made, as is the new messages icon.
Significant changes have been made to the header area, which is substantially thinner than the default. The number of menus has been reduced to three, while the Steam section links have been made much smaller and put onto the same line as the menu drop downs, along with the messages, and big picture icons, which are now next to the min/max/close buttons. The search bar has also been removed.
There are no issues when it comes to legibility. Most text is white on black, the font size is OK, and the chosen font is smooth and clear.
For people coming from the standard skin, the menus will take a little while to get used to. Now that there’s only three, certain elements have been taken from the discarded ones and put into the three that remain.
Otherwise, my only minor issue is that the icons on the right of the Steam header – messages, big picture mode, min/max/close are all very close together, which could easily lead to some frustrating misclicks.
If you’re looking for a minimalistic take on Steam’s interface, I’d absolutely recommend Minimal Steam UI V3.
Before and After with Minimal Steam UI Skin:
- Compatibility fixes
- Updates for the Music Feature
- A couple of changes to the navigator panel
- Download the skin file below, you should get an archive with the “.zip” or “.rar” extension.
- Extract the ZIP or RAR and move the folder to:
C:/Program Files (x86)/Steam/skins
- MAC OS X: right-click Steam.app and choose show package contents then
- Open the Steam interface and in top tab, click on “Steam” / “Settings”.
- Then open the Interface section.
- Find the option “Select the skin you wish Steam to use (requires Steam to restart)” and choose the skin that you want.
- Completely shut down and restart Steam.
- That was all; now you must have another interface.
- Only go back to the Interface tab in Steam’s Settings and select a different skin.
- In the skin folder, there is a
settings.ini. Open it with a text editor.
- In this file you can change the themes color, just follow the instructions in the file.
Colored Themes: Red / Green / Blue
Credit: Ph0xy, TDD & TTK-Bandit – Steam Group
226 KB | Version 3.19