The original PixelVision skin was one of the most popular Steam skins around. Sadly, it was discontinued in January of this year; however user FrostyRobot has released a modified pack with several different color schemes.
Colors & Design
Available in this pack are the default PixelVision color scheme, as well as versions in blue, green, orange, purple, red and yellow.
Each pack will alter the font (it uses the Windows Phone variant of Segoe UI), border, headings and menu bar within Steam.
It’s certainly a livelier take on the Steam interface, but it comes across as being a little dated in its approach. It takes elements from Windows 8’s Modern UI and combines them with aspects of the default Steam skin, which doesn’t always result in a cohesive presentation.
The primary issues with PixelVision Modified are legibility. The default font size is a tad on the small size, even on 1080p monitors. People with higher resolution monitors are going to find it far too small.
The skin doesn’t alter that much of the standard Steam layout, so there’s no massive improvement or degradation in terms of usability. One minor gripe though is that the wallet, messages, online friends and account name dropdown are crammed into the top right corner – something that other skins such as Metro for Steam handle more competently.
If you’re a fan of the original PixelVision skin and you’ve always wanted to have it in slightly different colors, you’re in luck. FrostyRobot’s colored versions are a good attempt adding a bit of life to the original design.
For others, though, the skin is a little old fashioned and it won’t integrate with Windows 8 and above too well. The original version has been discontinued and I think the original author knew that it was time to move on.
Click on the images below to enlarge and see better!
PixelVision Modified Skin Changelogs
- Added an alternative set of overlay files for those who are having trouble with
overlapping elements in the new overlay at resolutions lower than 1366 by 768.
- Download the skin file below, you should get an archive with the “.zip” or “.rar” extension.
- Extract the ZIP or RAR and move the folder to:
C:/Program Files (x86)/Steam/skins
- MAC OS X: right-click Steam.app and choose show package contents then
- Open the Steam interface and in top tab, click on “Steam” / “Settings”.
- Then open the Interface section.
- Find the option “Select the skin you wish Steam to use (requires Steam to restart)” and choose the skin that you want.
- Completely shut down and restart Steam.
- That was all; now you must have another interface.
- Only go back to the Interface tab in Steam’s Settings and select a different skin.
6.19 MB | Version 08.05.16