A skin based on the peripheral maker Roccat’s branding, Roccat v.1 for Steam by GABiTtrbN is a still under development skin for people who are a fan of Roccat’s devices and eSports teams.
Colors & Design
The biggest area of change with this skin comes in the Steam header, which has been completely reworked. There are the Roccat Panther logo and text to the right of the menus, and another version right in the far corner which sadly clashes a little with the wallet, messages, relocated friends list and library view icons.
The text has been changed to a serif font which I’m not a fan of as it looks a little messy and adds just a fraction more reading time as opposed to a sans serif font like Segoe UI or the default Arial.
That being said, the colors are great and, font choice aside, the header looks fantastic. The Steam footer no longer looks separate to the rest of the interface and moving the friend’s list has resulted in a cleaner look toward the bottom of the screen. I’m a big fan of this and wish more skins would take the same approach.
I’m not happy with the choice of font. The problem with using serif fonts is that they need to be at least 10 points in order to remain readable, which is something that’s not really possible to do with Steam’s interface without making areas with lots of information look terribly cluttered. With larger text, it looks fine, so I’d suggest for future updates perhaps changing only the areas where a smaller text is used.
It’s hard to see the sorting icons for the library with this skin. Unless you already know where they are by heart, finding them is a little difficult. The drop-down menus have also been reorganized, making settings and other buried controls hard to find at first, but it is at least an organization that other skinners also use from time to time, and it shouldn’t take a user that long to get used to the new layout.
The header looks great, the colors work well with Steam’s interface and, some minor quibbles about the choice of font and placement of graphics aside, there’s nothing that would stop me from using it regularly.
Click on the images below to enlarge and see better!
ROCCAT v.1 Skin Changelogs
- Download the skin file below, you should get an archive with the “.zip” or “.rar” extension.
- Extract the ZIP or RAR and move the folder to:
C:/Program Files (x86)/Steam/skins
- MAC OS X: Press Cmd+Shift+G in Finder and type
- Open the Steam interface and in top tab, click on “Steam” / “Settings”.
- Then open the Interface section.
- Find the option “Select the skin you wish Steam to use (requires Steam to restart)” and choose the skin that you want.
- Completely shut down and restart Steam.
- That was all; now you must have another interface.
- v1: Only go back to the Interface tab in Steam’s Settings and select a different skin.
- v2: Delete the skin folder from /Steam/skins.
The chat and friends UI doesn't load? Then you have to disable the new UI for them. We posted a guide on how to do this, take a look here.